11/01/2009 15:53
To: agarwalr@zeenetwork.com
Subject Protest against Mischievous Reporting
I write with reference to your TV coverage on 8th Jan'09 and the trailing mail from one of our colleague addressed to you.
At the outset, let me tell you that I was not one of the strikers. Being a senior officer, who are not part of the association, I was deputed on contigency duty at Palam inernational Aviation Fuel Station, and diligently worked for all three days in double shift to keep aircrafts flying. Having done that, rightly or wrongly, I have not supported the strike by my action and therefore can not have any say on the rationality of the demands or path of agitation. I shall refrain myself from doing so.
What hurt me personally is your reporting of blatant lies on the wage structure of us . I have put in my 26 years of service in Indian OIl and now working at the capacity of Dy. General Manager. My salary slip says, I am earning around Rs 50,000.00 per month and taking home around Rs 30,000.00 per month after tax deductions. In fact after considering the bonus and perquisites, I am filing an IT return towards gross income of around Rs 10 lacs per anum. Your coverage projects my salary income as Rs 2.75 lacs per month which amounts to Rs 33.00 lacs per anum. If required, you may consult my IT return, which I shall be obliged to furnish. Are you shocked once again ? Hope so.
I am further hurt being lebelled as Anti National by your coverage. I have personally, with so many of my colleagues, spent sleepless nights to keep fuel supplies on during Super Cyclone at Orissa and Tsunami at Port Blair. In fact one of my colleague has laid down his life in Tsunami at Car Nicober. So many of my colleagues have risked their lives in keeping supplies on during Kargil conflict and Earthquake in Bhuj. Each sacrifice is a story which has never come in press as they were least bothered about coverage. Service was primary which they fulfilled at the cost of their life. Neither they expected any propaganda, nor media felt that there was enough TRP to pick the story.
My dear sir, that is what hurts. Without going through the debate on wheather the strike was just.
Hope, you will come out with an open discussion over the issue involving persons who matter and persons who do not matter both. As layman of journalism, I understand that is the most balanced way of reporting.
